Monday, November 19, 2012

Words of our ancestors

I watch Nova, I know that makes me a geek but I don't care.
there was this one on Easter island and how they moved the Moai.
It was so interesting but the one thing that stands out in all of it was that the descendants of the one who made them said that the oral tradition was that the Moai walked across the island to the place that they currently stand.
The show demonstrated how the Moai could be moved by 'walking" them across the island.
The Moai walked in Hawaii with the assistance of rope and manpower, using the pendulum shape of the near finished sculptures.

It made me think: How many times do we not listen to someone that has come before us and just make assumptions that they don't know what they are doing? Why do we get an idea of what a thing is or what a word means and cant see another's point of view?


What oral traditions have we discarded because it seems impossible?

No comments: